Just after Easter we made our way to Joburg for a full-on family fest. John-Louis’ brother was getting married and all the aunts, uncles and cousins were together for the first time in quite a while. Because we were up there for about 9 days, we had lots on the agenda. I really like Joburg – it’s a beautiful city, the people are super friendly and the shopping is good. But Cape Town will always have my heart.
Here are the highlights (and some lowlights) of our trip…
- Our flight up was horrendous and packed, but thankfully the woman sitting next to me and Robert offered to swop seats so he could sit at the window – always grateful for small mercies such as these
- I got to see old friends and meet new ones. Ruth, you’re looking amazing and I can’t wait to meet your twin boys! Ingrid, that serendipitous parking lot meeting made my day! Meeting Bailey from Bury and Discover and Kimmy & Bear, for the first time, and her beautiful twin girls was such a treat, and so was meeting Cheska’s precious newborn baby girl, Francie Sugar
- I went running on my own and felt more than safe
- I got to meet an I Heart Vintage shopper – always nice to meet our readers and supporters (Andrea, the blazer looks so good on you!)
- We had Sunday lunch at Casalinga with the entire family and John-Louis took some lovely family portraits – making memories
- We used Uber for the first time (many times) and every experience was a good one – we are converts now
- Load shedding in Joburg is much worse than Cape Town but luckily my brother in law (who we stayed with) has a generator
- Shopping at Sandton City is awesome, but shopping at Sandton City with two littles is not so awesome – they really tested our patience that day (we also sat in two hours of traffic after our shopping day)
- Visiting Joburg Zoo was just lovely but so sad too – we don’t like seeing animals out of their natural habitat
- We went to the Foundry for supper during load shedding and we had a great time
- Breakfast at Nice was really nice!
- Bailey getting sick all over the backseat of the car we were driving in was not so nice
- Engedi is an exquisite wedding venue and we had a great day – Bailey was a brilliant flower girl and both our littles stayed up till 11pm! Also, my phone died and I got no pics of the lovely bride!
Joburg was lots of fun, but it was so good to come home!