The other night we were at a launch chatting with one of our ‘industry’ friends. We admired her skirt, she said it was by a local designer and then we moved onto the subject of how many amazing, local designers we have in this country and why, why, why?! are we not all shopping and buying these brands. It make sense to support them, don’t you agree?
If you’re wondering where and how you can shop local… here are some tips:
- Spree is one of SA’s largest online shops featuring a whole bunch of local (and some international) designers.
- Mungo & Jemima offer a curated range of beautiful local designs.
- Zando have a special Made in SA section.
- We just love Jane Sews for its simplicity.
- Akedo stocks some of our best!
Mungo & Jemima have two stores – one in Long Street and the other at the Watershed at V&A Waterfront. In Jozi, Maboneng Precinct is a great one-stop-shopping destination. For those with a taste for the finer threads in life, visit Klûk CGDT in Joburg and Cape Town. For those on a budget, Mr Price support local designers with regular capsule collections and the Edgars x SAFW capsule collections at the Sandton City store are just amazing. We cannot tell you where all the local designers are stocked and who has stores and who doesn’t, but see our list below of some of our favourite designers.
Sometimes the best thing to do is contact them directly!
- Drotsky – Elaine du Plessis’ new range (formerly Christopher Strong)
- Selfi – everything is awesome
- Amanda Laird Cherry
- Stefania Morland
- Take Care
- Michelle Ludek
- Jenevieve Lyons
For more information on shopping and supporting local, visit WearSA
Now go forth and be proudly South African!